Thursday, August 15, 2013

King & Maxwell

I finally got around to watching King & Maxwell! I had like 10 episodes recorded, so no time like the present! I’ve only seen the first three episodes.
Thoughts so far:
  • I like that they aren’t glamorizing Romijn. She’s a good looking woman on her own and the character of Maxwell doesn’t seem overly concerned with getting her hair and makeup just right in the mornings when there is a job to do. Also simply due to her stature there isn’t a whole lot of her running to catch bad guys in heels. Which is awesome.
  • "Have you ever seen me carry a purse?" Brilliant!
  • I thought the shower bit in the first episode was a bit gratuitous, but not over done. They could have taken it farther and I’m glad they didn’t.
  • I really appreciate the relationship between King and Maxwell. There doesn’t seem to be any flirty office romance going on. Not even a heavy mentor/mentee thing. They are professional equals in a lot of ways and for a male/female partnership that’s refreshing.
  • The running gag of King never having his weapon on him is amusing, and nicely shown as a choice made by the character. He’s eight years out of the service. I don’t think he sees himself as an agent of anything any longer. He’s much more comfortable in the civilian world. Also, is eight years enough time to wreck your life, get sober, and become a lawyer? I dunno about that.
  • Not totally sure how I feel about Edgar yet. Aside from the “gentle giant” persona he just mainly fills the role of “alternative genius who works the computer” that most shows have these day. i.e. Abby from NCIS (not hating on Abby, Gibbs loves her and so do I) It’s a convenient way to not have to go into “Well, how do we get these phone records/bank statements/other case solving info…” Exposition is much easier if it’s a line that is “Edgar did it.” 
Overall, I will keep watching. I know Christian Kane crops up in an episode as Maxwell’s brother, and I can’t wait to see that. Also, Chris Downey wrote episode three, so I love seeing my Leverage peoples at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment